Welcome
Welcome to poundhillnorthindependentcrawley

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free,

So please Before registering we would like you to choose a user name that has some sort of meaning as any type of spam/Bot user name will be deleted

Contact the forums administrator and Registering is very straight forward you just click on the register link above and follow the direction's. For those of you who have registered you just need to log in

Please note that you will need to enter a valid e-mail address before your account is activated. You will receive an e-mail at the address you provide that contains an account activation link.

THE 'HAUSER-HARVARD' SCANDAL AND THE BATTLE FOR MORAL MINDS

Re: Lecturette: "Marc Hauser - Silencing A Critical Moral Vo

Postby RichardWSymonds » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:03 pm

LECTURETTE EXCERPTS (continued)

.19 The Cyril Joad Society exposes the covert, "cloven-hoof" activities of The Henry Jackson Society "Stink-Tank"...
http://henryjacksonsociety.org/people/p ... nal-staff/
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Excerpts (continued)

.21 if Hauser said this in 'Moral Minds" (2006), what else was he going to say in the follow-up sequel "Evilicious" (2012)(not yet published) ?

"Many people presumably know they have done something wrong, based on reactions by others, but don't admit to the wrongdoing or take responsibility.
Some of these people are excessively narcissistic, a disorder that can bleed into the presidency, as when....President George W. Bush failed to admit to the public, that he went to war with Iraq, for reasons other than the one concerning weapons of mass destruction" - Marc D. Hauser ('Moral Minds' - Chapter 3 "Grammars of Violence" Page 155)
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:15 pm

http://www.boston.com/whitecoatnotes/20 ... story.html

HARVARD UNIVERSITY
Former Harvard professor Marc Hauser fabricated, manipulated data, US says

By Carolyn Y. Johnson, Globe Staff

Marc Hauser, a prolific scientist and popular psychology professor who last summer resigned from Harvard University, had fabricated data, manipulated results in multiple experiments, and described how experiments were conducted in factually incorrect ways, according to the findings of a federal research oversight agency posted online Wednesday.

The report provides the greatest insight yet into the problems that triggered a secretive three-year internal university investigation that concluded in 2010 that Hauser, a star professor and public intellectual, had committed eight instances of scientific misconduct. The document, which will be published in the Federal Register Thursday, found six cases in which Hauser engaged in research misconduct in work supported by the National Institutes of Health. One paper was retracted and two were corrected, and other problems were found in unpublished work.

Although Hauser “neither admits nor denies committing research misconduct,” he does, the report states, accept that federal authorities “found evidence of research misconduct.”

Hauser agreed to a number of restrictions for three years, including excluding himself from serving as an advisor to the US Public Health Service, agreeing to have his work supervised if it is supported by federal funding, and having an institution vouch for the validity of any research supported by such grants.

The finding outlines a wide gamut of unethical scientific practices, which Harvard investigators detailed in a confidential document forwarded to the federal Office of Research Integrity, an arm of the Department of Health and Human Services. The agency also conducted its own additional analysis, according to the finding.

In a paper published in the journal Cognition in 2002 that has since been retracted, Hauser fabricated results, making up half of the data in a bar graph, according to the findings. In two other papers, false claims were made about the methods of the experiment. That research was later repeated because of the problems that were discovered, with the findings upheld. In other, unpublished work, Hauser classified monkey’s responses incorrectly, in ways that could lead to a result being more significant, the report said.

“What is the new information are the details of how many monkeys, or how many data points appear to have been manipulated or fabricated,” said Gerry Altmann, the editor of the journal Cognition and a psychology professor at the University of York said in an interview after reading the report Wednesday. “I don’t know what would happen if they were to explore more than the three studies that were published,” and the other unpublished papers mentioned in the report.

The problems came to light two years ago when the Globe reported that Hauser had sent letters to his colleagues informing them that a three-year investigation into his lab had found evidence of misconduct and that one paper would be retracted. Hauser took a leave of absence and, after colleagues voted to bar him from teaching in the psychology department, he resigned. But many scientists and colleagues have been waiting for the federal finding in the hopes it would elucidate more clearly what Hauser did wrong and perhaps help explain whether the problems cast a shadow over the rest of his body of work, which includes more than 200 scientific publications and collaborations with leading figures in diverse fields including evolutionary biology and linguistics.

Altmann said that Hauser had made positive contributions to his field, but that the shortcuts described in his experiments were unacceptable. Informally, he said, the field now recognizes some of his findings -- such as the one that was retracted from the journal Cognition in 2010 -- as unlikely to be successfully repeated, but no formal investigation is planned of his vast body of work. In that 2002 Cognition paper, Hauser and colleagues had found that cotton-top tamarin monkeys have the ability to learn patterns of syllables, a skill that had been seen in infants that was thought to play a role in the ability to learn language.

Hauser probed the evolutionary roots of human abilities such as language and studied whether morality was innate or learned -- questions that piqued the interest not only of scientists but of the general public. He wrote popular books and his work was frequently featured in the media. He was known for his interdisciplinary approach, running a laboratory with cotton-top tamarin monkeys but also collaborating with colleagues who studied infants and posing moral conundrums to people over the Internet.

Hauser did not immediately respond to a voicemail and e-mail requesting comment. When he resigned, Hauser said in a letter that he was looking forward to new opportunities in the private sector and had begun working with at-risk teenagers.

Carolyn Y. Johnson can be reached at cjohnson@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @carolynyjohnson.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 pm

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/nationa ... s_84624230

Advertisement
Feds: Ex-Harvard prof faked data in experiments
Updated: Wednesday, 05 Sep 2012, 11:39 AM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 05 Sep 2012, 11:39 AM CDT

BOSTON (AP) — Federal investigators have found that a Harvard University psychology professor who resigned after he was accused of scientific misconduct has fabricated data and manipulated results in multiple experiments.

The Boston Globe (http://b.globe.com/NRP9j3 ) reports that the findings about Marc Hauser were contained in a report by the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Research Integrity released Wednesday.

Hauser resigned last summer, ten months after a faculty investigation found him "solely responsible" for eight instances of scientific misconduct at the Ivy League school.

The federal document found six cases in which Hauser engaged in research misconduct in work supported by the National Institutes of Health. One paper was retracted and two were corrected, and other problems were found in unpublished work.

Hauser could not be reached for comment.

___

Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.boston.com/globe
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Embattled Harvard psychology professor resigns from post
Hauser was to return after year’s leave

By Carolyn Y. Johnson |  GLOBE STAFF  

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/1970/0 ... story.html

Marc Hauser, a well-known Harvard psychology professor who has been on leave since an internal investigation found him guilty of eight counts of scientific misconduct, is leaving the university.

“Marc Hauser has resigned his position as a faculty member, effective Aug. 1, 2011,’’ Harvard spokesman Jeff Neal wrote in an e-mail response to inquiries from the Globe.

Hauser was a popular professor known for his research and writing on the evolutionary underpinnings of morality and the traits that make the human mind distinct from those of animals. He took a leave of absence after a faculty committee concluded a three-year investigation that was first reported last August by the Globe. But he was due to return to the university this fall, a prospect that made many of his former colleagues uncomfortable.

A large majority of the Harvard psychology faculty had voted not to allow him to teach in the department this year, and the dean of the arts and sciences faculty, Michael D. Smith, had supported their position.

“While on leave over the past year, I have begun doing some extremely interesting and rewarding work focusing on the educational needs of at-risk teenagers,’’ Hauser wrote to the dean in a brief resignation letter, dated July 7, that Harvard released. “I have also been offered some exciting opportunities in the private sector. While I may return to teaching and research in the years to come, I look forward to focusing my energies in the coming year on these new and interesting challenges.’’

Hauser did not respond to e-mail and voice-mail messages requesting a comment.

His resignation brings some resolution to the turmoil on campus over his status, but it still leaves the scientific community trying to sort out what findings within Hauser’s large body of work they can trust. Three published papers led by Hauser were thrown into question by the investigation; one was retracted and two were corrected. Problems were also found in five studies that were either not published or corrected prior to publication.

“What it does do is it provides some sort of closure for people at Harvard. . . . They were in a state of limbo,’’ said Gerry Altmann, editor of the journal Cognition. Based on information provided to him by Harvard last year, Altmann said, the only plausible conclusion was that some of the data in a study published in his journal in 2002 and retracted last year had been fabricated.

“There’s just been this cloud hanging over the department,’’ Altmann said. “. . . It has no real impact on the field more broadly.’’

Harvard has said it is cooperating with a federal investigation into Hauser’s research, which is believed to be continuing. A spokeswoman for the Office of Research Integrity in the Department of Health and Human Services said the agency cannot confirm or deny any ongoing investigations.

In an unusual step, Smith wrote a letter to the faculty last year explaining that Hauser had been found “solely responsible’’ for eight instances of scientific misconduct, a serious transgression. The problems, Smith wrote, were not the same in each case, but involved “data acquisition, data analysis, data retention, and the reporting of research methodologies and results,’’ concerns that encompass many key aspects of scientific research.

The dean’s letter detailed a list of possible sanctions in such cases, including involuntary leave and restrictions on a faculty member’s ability to apply for research grants or advise students, but also said that specific actions are kept confidential.

When asked whether there had been pressure on Hauser to resign or whether a settlement had been negotiated, Neal referred to Hauser’s letter, which does not address those issues.

“I’m deeply saddened by the whole events of the last year,’’ Steven Pinker, a psychology professor at Harvard, said yesterday. “Marc is a scientist of enormous creativity, energy, and talent.’’

Hauser is a prolific researcher and public intellectual whose work was featured in newspapers and on television, sparking people’s imagination. He ran a primate laboratory at Harvard, and much of his research explored the abilities of cotton-top tamarin monkeys in such domains as language and math.

He authored a popular book, “Moral Minds,’’ and more than 200 scientific publications and was voted one of Harvard’s most popular professors. His scientific collaborators have included top researchers in disciplines from psychology to linguistics.

In his two-paragraph resignation letter, Hauser wrote, “During my 18 years at Harvard, it has been a great pleasure to teach so many bright and talented students and to work with so many dedicated colleagues.’’

Problems with three published papers were found during the Harvard investigation. One, the 2002 Cognition paper, was retracted. In the two other cases, the papers were corrected. Researchers repeated the experiments after missing field notes and videotapes were discovered. In both those papers, published in the journals Science and the Proceedings of the Royal Society B, the repeated experiments supported the original findings.

Another researcher in Hauser’s field, Michael Tomasello, codirector of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany, said yesterday that Hauser’s departure was not unexpected.

“Once they didn’t let him teach - and there are severe restrictions in his ability to do research - you come to the office and what do you do all day?’’ he said. “People in the field, we’re just wondering; this doesn’t change anything. We’re still where we were before’’ concerning the other studies.

Try BostonGlobe.com today and get two weeks FREE.
Carolyn Y. Johnson can be reached at cjohnson@globe.com. You can follow her on Twitter @globecarolynyj.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 pm

By Carolyn Y. Johnson, Globe Staff

Marc Hauser’s full response to the findings of the federal Office of Research Integrity follows:

The release of the ORI report concludes an investigation into my scientific conduct that has lasted five years. This has been a long and painful period for me, my family, friends and colleagues. To all who have been burdened by this, I send my sincere apologies. To those who have supported me, I am deeply grateful.

The investigation process required me to review, analyze and respond to questions concerning significant amounts of data, manuscripts, grant applications, and personal correspondences covering more than ten years.

Although I have fundamental differences with some of the findings in the ORI report, I acknowledge that I made mistakes. I tried to do too much, teaching courses, running a large lab of students, sitting on several editorial boards, directing the Mind, Brain & Behavior Program at Harvard, conducting multiple research collaborations, and writing for the general public. I let important details get away from my control, and as head of the lab, I take responsibility for all errors made within the lab, whether or not I was directly involved. I am saddened that this investigation has caused some to question all of my work, rather than the few papers and unpublished studies in question. Before, during and after the investigation, many of my lab’s research findings were replicated by independent researchers. I remain proud of the many important papers generated by myself, my collaborators and my students over the years. I am also deeply gratified to see my students carve out significant areas of research at major universities around the world.

I am relieved that this investigation is now complete, allowing me to turn my full energy to the next chapter of my career. Over the past year, I have blended my passion for teaching, science and humanitarian efforts to give back to those in need, focusing on at-risk youth. This work is deeply satisfying and I look forward to making new contributions to human welfare, education, and the role of scientific knowledge in understanding human nature.

-marc

Carolyn Y. Johnson can be reached at cjohnson@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @carolynyjohnson.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 pm

http://bostonglobe.com/news/science/201 ... story.html

Marc Hauser responds to federal finding of scientific misconduct
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/science ... story.html

September 05, 2012

Marc Hauser’s full response to the findings of the federal Office of Research Integrity follows:

The release of the ORI report concludes an investigation into my scientific conduct that has lasted five years. This has been a long and painful period for me, my family, friends and colleagues. To all who have been burdened by this, I send my sincere apologies. To those who have supported me, I am deeply grateful.

The investigation process required me to review, analyze and respond to questions concerning significant amounts of data, manuscripts, grant applications, and personal correspondences covering more than ten years.

Although I have fundamental differences with some of the findings in the ORI report, I acknowledge that I made mistakes. I tried to do too much, teaching courses, running a large lab of students, sitting on several editorial boards, directing the Mind, Brain & Behavior Program at Harvard, conducting multiple research collaborations, and writing for the general public. I let important details get away from my control, and as head of the lab, I take responsibility for all errors made within the lab, whether or not I was directly involved. I am saddened that this investigation has caused some to question all of my work, rather than the few papers and unpublished studies in question. Before, during and after the investigation, many of my lab’s research findings were replicated by independent researchers. I remain proud of the many important papers generated by myself, my collaborators and my students over the years. I am also deeply gratified to see my students carve out significant areas of research at major universities around the world.

I am relieved that this investigation is now complete, allowing me to turn my full energy to the next chapter of my career. Over the past year, I have blended my passion for teaching, science and humanitarian efforts to give back to those in need, focusing on at-risk youth. This work is deeply satisfying and I look forward to making new contributions to human welfare, education, and the role of scientific knowledge in understanding human nature.

- marc
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:45 pm

HARVARD MAGAZINE

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/09/haus ... t-reported

Harvard Magazine
Your independent source for Harvard news since 1898

Breaking News
Marc Hauser “Engaged in Research Misconduct”
Research > Social Sciences

Photograph by Stephanie Mitchell/Harvard News Office Marc Hauser

Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Marc Hauser, scientific misconduct

The division of investigative oversight in the Office of Research Integrity (ORI), in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, has found that former Harvard professor of psychology Marc Hauser “engaged in research misconduct” in research supported by several federal grants. Hauser resigned his Harvard position in 2011 following a separate, internal Faculty of Arts and Sciences investigation in 2010 that found him “solely responsible” for “eight instances of scientific misconduct under FAS standards.”

Hauser studied the evolution of language and cognition, in research involving monkeys and humans. In the year between the FAS findings and his resignation, he was on leave; he had planned to return to Harvard after his leave, but resigned following a psychology department faculty vote against having him resume teaching duties.

According to the report—based on Harvard’s investigation and additional ORI analysis—formally titled “Findings of Research Misconduct”:

Hauser fabricated half the data in a bar graph in a research paper on learning by cotton-top tamarins, published in 2002 in the journal Cognition. (The paper was retracted in 2010.)
Hauser “falsified the coding” of some monkeys’ responses to sound stimuli in two unpublished papers. The report says Hauser acknowledged to collaborators that he had miscoded some of the data, and that the experiment did not support the initial hypothesis.
Hauser “falsely described” the experimental methodology used to code results for two experiments in a manuscript submitted to Cognition, Science, and Nature. All the problems with the descriptions of the work were corrected prior to final submission and publication in Cognition in 2007.
Hauser “falsely reported the results and methodology” for one of seven experiments in a paper published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B in 2007. Hauser “takes full responsibility for the falsifications reported in the published paper.” He and coauthors replicated the findings with complete supporting data, and published the results in 2011 in the same journal.
Hauser “accepts responsibility for a false statement” in the methodology description of one experiment in a Science article in 2007; Hauser and a coauthor later replicated the results with full supporting data and published them in the same journal in 2011.
Hauser “engaged in research misconduct” by inconsistently coding data in an unpublished experiment, “falsely changing the coding results.” The research was recoded, Hauser acknowledged to collaborators that “his coding was incorrect,” and the research was not written up for publication.

According to the report, Hauser “neither admits nor denies committing research misconduct but accepts ORI has found evidence of research misconduct” as detailed in the report and has entered into a voluntary settlement (not an admission of liability) under which he will, for three years:

have any U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) research supervised, in a manner agreed to in advance by the PHS;
have any institution employing him submit a certification that data, procedures, and methodologies from his work are accurately reported, before funding applications are submitted or efforts are made to publish research; and
exclude himself from serving in any advisory capacity to PHS or its committees.

The report is to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow.

The Boston Globe, which first reported the news of Harvard’s investigation, reported on the ORI findings this morning. While the federal investigation was under way, Harvard could not comment on its own investigation or the detailed findings of misconduct.

Updated 2:25 p.m. The Globe is now reporting a statement by Marc Hauser in response to the the ORI report. In reads, in part:

RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 pm

September 05, 2012

- marc
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Dear Harvard Magazine

I find it an academic and moral disgrace you find it somehow fit to
publish Marc Hauser's response "IN PART" :
http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/09/haus ... t-reported

George Orwell put this in terms far better than myself : "Omission is
the greatest form of a lie".

For those with eyes to see and discern - and minds to think and
understand - this is a simple, all-too-familiar case of
extremely nasty, academic politics and propaganda at work - a character
assassination, orchestrated by 'rogue elements' within the dark world
of global realpolitik ("Former Harvard Professor Marc Hauser
fabricated, manipulated data, US says", Boston Globe, September 5).

You don't agree ?

Try to get a pre-publication look at Hauser's forthcoming book
"EVILICIOUS" - and read certain contents therein :
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=153&start=10

Then, you might better discern - and better understand.

The trouble is, even if you probe further, you will be seen - in
certain quarters - as 'trouble'.

A critical, moral voice of a fallible human being is thus silenced - at
a massive cost to humanity.

The least you can do, as a so-called 'independent' academic
institution, is to publish Marc Hauser's response IN FULL.

Yours sincerely

Richard W. Symonds
"The MEGA INSTINCT - Moral Instinct As Consciousness" (proposed book) -
greatly indebted to Marc Hauser & "Moral Minds" (Ecco, 2006) - which
precedes his book "Evilicious".

"Gatwick City" of Crawley - England

Email : richardsy5@aol.com (preferred communication - I am very deaf)
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mega Philosophy, Mega Ethics & The Gatwick School