Welcome
Welcome to poundhillnorthindependentcrawley

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free,

So please Before registering we would like you to choose a user name that has some sort of meaning as any type of spam/Bot user name will be deleted

Contact the forums administrator and Registering is very straight forward you just click on the register link above and follow the direction's. For those of you who have registered you just need to log in

Please note that you will need to enter a valid e-mail address before your account is activated. You will receive an e-mail at the address you provide that contains an account activation link.

GATWICK CITY OF IDEAS (GCI) -WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO, AND WHY

Welcome & Announcements

Re: WELCOME TO GCI "NO CONSTRAINTS" FORUM - BUT NOW WITH WAR

Postby RichardWSymonds » Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 pm

http://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/ ... libellous/

A victory for the dissemblers

By John Ward

As The Slog predicted a week ago, well-known admirer of media manipulators and Lord Machiavelli, Alfie McAlpswine (not of Wrexham and Chester in any way whatsoever) has won his libel ‘case’ against Sally Wife-of-Berk, oh what a terrible result.

There are many who deserve thanks for this outcome, but in particular I should like make especial mention of the amateur-night performance of the BBC in naming the wrong branch of the McAlpine building dynasty, and Carter F**k for allegedly completely mishandling what should’ve been an open and shut case…or so I have been told by experts, but beyond that I couldn’t possibly comment.

I should like to take this opportunity once again of unreservedly confirming my long-stated view that Lord Alf is not a paedophile, but that his second cousin Jimmy McAlpine most assuredly was a child-buggering bastard of great infamy.

There will now be long pause in any reporting of anything to do with Lord McScalpine by the spineless molluscs working for the mainstream media.

COMMENTS

bill40
May 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm
That verdict is a joke, end of.

Bishop Brightly
May 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm
he escaped with the loot once and now he has done it again. All thanks to his paedo cousin and the desperation of the establishment to continue the cover-up over elm guest house and the later ring involving Sidney Cooke.

Truth will out soon.
Last edited by RichardWSymonds on Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Re: WELCOME TO GATWICK CITY OF IDEAS - GCI

Postby RichardWSymonds » Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm

RichardWSymonds wrote:It is with deep concern I write this.

The High Court has made this ruling in the McAlpine-Bercow libel case which has caste doubt on the ability of this Forum to be "Without Constraints".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05 ... d%3D181750

The threat to 'Freedom of Speech is only too clear - but it also raises the question that if someone here on this Forum writes something over-critical about someone in power - such as calling the DWP Minister Iain Duncan Smith a "fuckin' bastard who kills disabled people slowly by his fuckin' policies" - then not only can I be taken to court, but the Forum gets closed down.

So, it is with the deepest regret, I have to ask registered members to be careful about what they write - especially about Iain Duncan Smith.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm

RichardWSymonds wrote:Welcome to Gatwick City of Ideas - in partnership with Respect

GATWICK CITY OF IDEAS - WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE DO

Gatwick City of Ideas is a "no constraints" community forum of comment and analysis.
The forum discusses ideas - any ideas - local and global - without constraint. It is open to anyone who can think for themselves - and who do not want others to do the thinking for them.

GATWICK CITY OF IDEAS - THE REASON WHY :

Our inability to discuss ideas freely - and without constraint - has reached such dangerous levels that it now threatens humanity's survival.

A war on propaganda - which causes muddled thinking & costly errors - must now be
declared as a pre-condition of that survival.

Gatwick City of Ideas has been set up so that people can discuss any idea freely and without constraint - so that we - humanity - can survive and thrive in the 21st century.

One of the primary aims of this Forum is to be seriously enjoyable - "Serious in intention. Light in character" (Wartime Brains Trust).

As I see it, 'blogging' is simply writing & thinking in words - a conversation with others (and/or oneself) - rather like an on-going discussion of different ideas in a pub...

Some listen and say nothing...Some don't listen and just talk...Some say a lot - some don't. Some get angry and leave - some stay. Some are wise - some are not. Some get drunk with the sound of their own voices, or the wizardry of their writing style - some stay sober....

But ALL are welcome...welcome to share their views - or just listen...to come and go as they please.

No idea should be judged stupid or irrelevant - some of the best ideas have come from those sources.

No one should be judged by the quality of their grammar or spelling...let history speak : some of the 'best educated' can become monsters.

Some of the ideas discussed will get people in an apoplexy of rage sometimes.
This should come as no surprise...millions of lives have been lost in the cause of some of these ideas - and that will
continue.

Don't bully (or be bullied) by words. They (like the people saying them) can heal or harm, kill or cure - they are powerful weapons of war and peace.

Let's be careful with our words...but at the same time let's have fun with them - together.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Fri May 24, 2013 2:50 pm

RichardWSymonds wrote:It is with deep concern I write this.

The High Court has made this ruling in the McAlpine-Bercow libel case which has caste doubt on the ability of this Forum to be "Without Constraints".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05 ... d%3D181750

The threat to 'Freedom of Speech is only too clear - but it also raises the question that if someone here on this Forum writes something over-critical about someone in power - such as calling the DWP Minister Iain Duncan Smith a "fuckin' bastard who kills disabled people slowly by his fuckin' policies" - then not only can I be taken to court, but the Forum gets closed down.

So, it is with the deepest regret, I have to ask registered members to be careful about what they write - especially about Iain Duncan Smith.
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Reminder

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on each other to police ourselves - abiding by humanity's rules of common (& uncommon) sense, moral respect and human decency.

If 'a line is crossed' - which happens sometimes in the heat generated by discussion - please have the good grace to apologise (and/or accept the apology).
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Postby RichardWSymonds » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

"NO CONSTRAINTS"

Gatwick City of Ideas is a "No Constraints" Forum. We welcome all opinions and comments. We allow personal attacks, offensive language and unsubstantiated allegations (but prefer you didn't). We do not reserve the right to delete comments deemed inappropriate (whatever that means). We do not reserve the right to close the comments thread for stories that are deemed especially sensitive (whatever that means). For further information, please contact Richard W. Symonds ( [email protected] ).
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Re: GATWICK CITY OF IDEAS (GCI) -WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO, AND

Postby RichardWSymonds » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Here is one reason why a "no constraints" forum of discussion is critical:

http://academeblog.org/2014/08/22/chanc ... n-salaita/

Philosophy, lit, etc.

Links on the University of Illinois' termination of academic freedom

Posted: 23 Aug 2014 11:15 PM PDT

John K. Wilson reproduces Chancellor Wise's alarming letter. Every word of Wilson's critique (in the first four paragraphs of the linked post) is golden. Here's an excerpt:
Wise greatly expands the concept, declaring that not only persons but “viewpoints themselves” must be protected from any disrespectful words. I am puzzled as to exactly how a free university could possibly operate when no one is allowed to be disrespectful toward any viewpoint.
More by Wilson on the Salaita case at Illinois (Urbana-Champaign). Cary Nelson defends the opposing view. Scott Lemieux replies.

From Timothy Burke's letter:
I am not troubled by the idea that an acceptance of all students as they come to you is an important professional standard. ... But you must not measure adherence to this standard by reading what scholars or intellectuals say or write in the public sphere, whether in formal publication or in social media. ... Neither the University of Illinois nor any of the proponents of your decision have presented any evidence that Professor Salaita would be or has been unable to adhere to those ethics. The only evidence is a handful of tweets that really say nothing about how he approaches the classroom, how he mentors students, how he participates in evaluation.
Brian Leiter:
It is not an exaggeration to say that the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees have now declared that the First Amendment does not apply to any tenured faculty at the University of Illinois.
Michael C. Dorf gives a very detailed examination of the relevant laws:
Academic freedom and freedom of speech protect all viewpoints, even those that are hostile to academic freedom or freedom of speech. Moreover, as I explain below, none of the peculiarities of Salaita’s case justifies the university’s revocation of its offer.
Corey Robin links to some of the many petitions protesting the University of Illinois' treatment of Salaita.
You are subscribed to email updates from Philosophy, lit, etc.
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery powered by Google
Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610
RichardWSymonds
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Announcements